Peanut Butter: Love, Obsession, Sin?




My family has a long standing history with peanut butter.  My great grandparents were reformed Mennonites who enjoyed a modest, frugal life.  As one of 14 children, my granddad Bare was raised to appreciate what they had.  And what they had was peanut butter.  Typically, a 50 pound tub of it.  Because nutritional food was scarce, the kids ate cereal with dollops of peanut butter edging their bowls, scooping a bit of cereal and protein-rich PB in each bite.  From this, a sacred tradition was borne.  At a recent Bare family reunion, my uncle Allan decided to question attendees about this practice.  By microphone he asked the full room to indicate with raised hands if they continued the peanut butter and cereal method.  Out of about 50 people, all but 3 (2 guests and MY David-obviously all transplants) put their hands up.  Like I said, Sacred. Tradition.  Peanut butter runs in our blood.


Which is why to outsiders (a.k.a. “regular” persons), I might seem the *teensiest bit* obsessed with that particular food.  Because considering peanut butter its own food group doesn’t register as weird to me.  Also, being a member of a bi-monthly peanut butter club.  Also, planning entire PB themed children’s storytimes and crafts at the library.  Also, being gifted my own personalized peanut butter scooping spoon.  Completely normal.  Last week while helping my BFF tidy up after lunch, I lovingly began to return the semi-cleaned out peanut butter to her cabinet. She stopped me with, "Oh no, that's trash." And my high-pitched response was, "That's TRASH?!?" She gave me the most incredulous and hilariously stern stare that we both collapsed into laughter.  And then, Revelation: Uh, I might have a problem.




 So, Lent’s happening and I’ve given up peanut butter.  David’s expressed fear for his life.  (He’s not joking.)  Yet I crave the exercise in self control.  Not for diet or health reasons, but for intentionality.  There are many things I allow myself for release: Pointless TV, a glass of wine, young adult novels, spoon after spoon of peanut butter, drive through coffees, endless scrolling online.  Basically, zoning out is my jam and those are a few of my tools for getting there.  Let me be clear: Relaxation or de-stressing isn’t wrong.  Jesus KNOWS our lives are hectic and hard.  But when we’re seeking that moment of mindlessness above our time with JC, that’s wrong.  That’s idolatry.  (Which, P.S. I thought I had already worked through in another blog.)  Blah.


Lent is about gaining a better understanding of Christ’s sacrifice for us.  Why He came to earth.  And it probably wasn’t as a license for us to disengage with or escape from our chaotic present.  He didn’t die to give me the ability to binge watch 18 episodes of The Good Wife in a week (completely hypothetical example).  John 10:10 says that He came so we “may have life, and have it to the full.”  Abundant, satisfying life.  The real deal, not the sloppy stand ins.  Inside my BFF’s peanut butter-less pantry hangs a simple Bible verse from Psalm 119, “The Lord is my portion…”  I think that reminder sums it up nicely.  Jesus *should be* our sustenance.  Not a means to deprive us of anything, but to give us EVERYTHING fully, beyond our comprehension.  Not to make things easy, but to make them meaningful.  Not an excuse to retreat from our crazy lives, but a reason to invest deeply into the connections there.

That’s what I desire.  Increased intentionality in my daily pursuits.  More JC, less PB.  Or at least, thoughtful consideration of how I’m using my time.  Development of worthwhile goals, not merely justifications for mental vacations. 
Putting others first by rebelling against my lazy, selfish nature.  Yeah.  This is kind of a lot to accomplish in 40 days.  As the old adage (or Jordin Sparks’ song) suggests, I’ll just have to take it a step at a time.  Diligence.  My great grandparents were well acquainted with this trait, as the path to the bottom of a peanut butter barrel starts with a single spoonful.  And if family history is any indication, the odds of success are strongly in my favor.



Le(n)t's do this!!

Comments

Popular Posts