Long Distance Love

Dear Sweet Daughter (Mira),

I cannot believe that it has already been a year since I wrote you a letter on Valentine’s Day.  It feels like forever ago but also as if it was just yesterday; time moves funny sometimes.  I had so many people warn us about that when your brother was a baby, how moments can either inch or speed by.  Then you blink and it is a year later.

The good news is that all of the important papers we needed to finish for your adoption are now in Ethiopia with you!  I’m sure they are sitting on a desk under a stack of other papers, but at least they are on the right continent now and with the right people.  Daddy and I passed all the tests we needed to pass to be your Mommy and Daddy someday!  It makes us so excited and proud to think about that day…..to think about you.

Oh sweetheart, but the hardest thing is that we still have so long to wait.  At least 2 more years.  Ethiopia is in the middle of making some good adoption changes, BUT it will probably mean waiting even longer to become a family.  This makes us so sad.  We feel as if you are already part of us, a missing member of this household.  Elijah has a world map on the wall above his bed which is dirty with fingerprints from all of us pointing out Ethiopia and Addis Ababa (the capital city where Daddy and I will fly to meet you someday).  We have African artwork around the house to help us (and others) remember you.  I’ve been given many beautiful pieces of jewelry made in Africa and specifically Ethiopia, so when I wear them I can feel close to you.  But really nothing is going to be good enough until you are in our arms at last.



One of our favorite pieces of Africa artwork-Thank you Kris!


Nearly a year ago, Daddy, Elijah, and I were visiting with a group of friends and it was time to go.  Daddy had Elijah’s hand and was walking out the door, but I knew something was missing.  I scanned over the whole room looking.  I didn’t realize then, but I was looking for you.  That is how tangibly we feel your absence little one.  When Elijah wakes up crying out because of nightmares, we rush over to his room and calm him down.  But then I go to sleep in tears wishing I could be there for you too.  That I could run right over, hold you, and chase away your fears.  It isn’t fair that we can’t be together yet, but our love for you is strong enough to overshadow what we’ve missed.  Our prayer is that this initial time apart will serve to make our time together even more precious.

I wanted to tell you a story about when I was pregnant with Elijah.  Because mommies like doing silly things, I made up lots of little lullabies and songs for your brother while he was in my tummy.  One of my favorites was called “Hey There Elijah” (which was really just a song called “Hey There Delilah” that I heard on the radio and made up new words for).  Well recently, I was on my way to your Auntie Meghan’s house and I heard that song again.  It surprised me because I hadn’t heard it for ages.  But this time when I listened the whole way to the end, I knew that those last verses were meant for you and I would hardly even need to change the words:

A thousand miles seems pretty far
But they've got planes and trains and cars
I'd walk to you if I had no other way
Some folks would all make fun of us
and we'll just laugh along because we know
That none of them have felt this way
And Mira I can promise you
That by the time we get through
The world will never ever be the same
And you're to blame

Hey there my Mira
You be good and don't you miss me
Two more years and we’ll be on a plane
And it’ll be family history-a dream come true
You'll know it's all because of you
God can do whatever He wants to
Hey there my Mira here's to you
This one's for you

I can’t wait to actually sing this to you someday (although, you *may* prefer the written words to my singing voice)!  We enjoy doing everything we can to prepare for your arrival, even if it is just making up a silly song.  Because Mira, we love you so much.  Elijah is excited to teach you all kinds of things, Daddy is already planning games to play with you, and I will just be content to finally rest my cheek right next to yours.

We got you another present (your room will be FULL of things once you get here!).  It is a cute mermaid doll that we had made for you.  I had my own mermaid when I was a little girl and it was my ABSOLUTE favorite doll.  Our idea is that as soon as we find out your name from the adoption agency, we will send you this doll to have until we are allowed to come to where you are staying and bring you home.  Then you will have a piece of us there, a bit of our love to help tide you through the night.  And it’s not just a gift, it’s a promise.  We ARE a family and will all be together soon.



With all our hearts,
              Daddy, Mama, and Elijah

Comments

Popular Posts